The King in the Month of Ice
After sparrows three times call,
After gull does three times fall,
Come maiden, mistress, mouse and hen,
Come fisher, farmer, frog and wren.
Once a king dressed in red,
Warmed by flames on feather bed,
While all the town starving cried,
Chilled by winds, the Month of Ice.
Eat them of frost, eat them of snow,
The monarch decreed to them below,
Upon a spike they perched his head,
Cursed his name, burned his stead.
Hush-a-bye, and don't be affright,
Mama will sing through all the night,
Many an hour before morning sun,
Don't dream of horror yet to come.
- The book can be found beside the Outsider shrine during the mission The Royal Conservatory.
- In The Return of Daud, the final stanza is quoted at the beginning of Chapter 23.
- The song can be heard being sung by a witch over the Dunwall Loudspeaker system in the mission Death to the Empress.
- It is also known as "Brigmore Lullaby" in the official game soundtrack.
- The song's title and lyrics present similarities to the Morley Insurrection.
- Morley is the only known state in the modern Empire to be ruled by kings.
- The Insurrection started during the Month of Ice, just like the song's setting.
- The people in the song are revolting due to a famine, one of which was officially recognized in Morley after the conflict ended.
- In The Return of Daud, the excerpt is accompanied by the following introduction: [Extract from a popular melody].