The deck consists of 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana cards, but differs from traditional tarot decks in both the names for Major Arcana and their positioning.
While Arkane Studios did not provide a companion book or online information to accompany the deck and explain its occult symbolism for divination purposes, Harvey Smith, Co-Creative Director of Dishonored, stated on Twitter:
- "That's the kind of thing the community would have to do. We would pay attention to what the community devised. We'd look at it after the fact. Otherwise, too much work for already slammed people. Yeah, we'd love to see it, to give thoughts when we could, etc."
- —Harvey Smith.
A set of updated cards was released with the Game of the Year Edition of Dishonored, available to those who pre-ordered the game from GameStop. They feature characters from The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches, such as Lizzy Stride, Billie Lurk, and Delilah Copperspoon. It also contains updated character classes, such as the Butchers and the Brigmore Witches.
V - The Witch: Vera Moray, now known as Granny Rags, who is blind, mad and deceitful, and not quite as harmless as one might think.
VI - The Weeper: Victims of the plague in its last stage, weepers are senseless horrors that roam the streets of Dunwall, abandoned by society.
XII - The Artist: Anton Sokolov, Royal Physician, unscrupulous scientist, and inventor.
XIII - Cruelty: The Royal Interrogator, a sadistic torturer with a dark passion and an even darker secret.
XIV - The Governess: Callista Curnow, a member of the Loyalists and a caring tutor to Emily Kaldwin.
XV - Nobility: Treavor Pendleton, the younger brother of the malicious Pendleton twins, as well as a leading member of the Loyalists.
XVII - The Drowned Man: Admiral Farley Havelock, astute military mind and leader of the Loyalists who will go to great lengths to see his work done.
XVIII - The Lord Regent: Hiram Burrows, the former Royal Spymaster for the Empress and instigator of her assassination, who now rules Gristol with an iron first.
XX - The World: A map of the Empire.
XXI - Death: Corvo Attano, once Lord Protector and bodyguard of Empress Jessamine Kaldwin, who was framed for her murder by Hiram Burrows. Freed by the Loyalists, he now treads a thin line between vengeance and justice.
The Outsider: A timeless being of magic and mystery that takes interest in select humans, including Corvo Attano.
The Suit of Rats - A suit of 14 cards, represented by rats.
The Suit of Swords - A suit of 14 cards, represented by swords.
The Suit of Pistols - A suit of 14 cards, represented by pistols.
The Suit of Skulls - A suit of 14 cards, represented by skulls.
Each suit contains four face cards (King, Queen, Commoner, and Jack) and ten numbered cards in descending order from 10 to 1.
Use in Divination
While not specifically designed to standards of modern tarot decks, the cards within the Dishonored Tarot deck can theoretically be linked to their Arcana counterparts by using their representative character and personalities, compared with the meanings given to certain tarot cards.
There are multiple possibilities regarding how the Dishonored tarot deck aligns with the standard tarot deck, which can be found here.
- In-universe, a modified version of the Dishonored Tarot Deck is used, called the "Game of Nancy Tarot Deck".
- Another card game unrelated to the Game of Nancy is mentioned in Dishonored. During the mission The Royal Physician, a City Watch guard describes several types of hands to Earl, a lower guard, who doesn't accept his defeat at cards. In growing order: basic Pair, Two Pair, Tall Towers, Captain's Quarters, Dunwall, Royal Dunwall and The Lord Regent's Purse.
- It is possible to tell which way up a card in the Dishonored deck has been dealt by looking at the Outsider symbol on the back.
- The Minor Arcana can be used as common playing cards.
Game of the Year Edition
Games and other media in the Dishonored franchise
Void Walker's Arsenal (Acrobatic Killer Pack • Arcane Assassin Pack • Backstreet Butcher Pack • Shadow Rat Pack) • Dunwall City Trials • The Knife of Dunwall • The Brigmore Witches • Imperial Assassin's Pack
Dishonored Signature Series Guide • Dishonored 2 Strategy Guide • The Dunwall Archives • The Art of Dishonored 2 • The Wyrmwood Deceit • The Peeress and the Price • The Corroded Man • The Return of Daud • The Veiled Terror
Dishonored Tarot Deck