- "–I need your help!
– Like old times?
– Those days are gone. This is something bigger. One last job.
– I can do it. Who's the mark?
–The one responsible for it all - the cults, the black magic, this mark on my hand. We're going to kill the black-eyed bastard himself..."
- —Daud and Billie Lurk
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is a standalone expansion pack and a sequel to Dishonored 2, released on September 15, 2017. It features Billie Lurk as the protagonist in a plot to end the Outsider. The game's story concludes the "Kaldwin era" of the series. It contains Denuvo Version 4.5.
Set a couple of months after the end of Dishonored 2, Billie Lurk returns to Karnaca to reunite with her mentor, the legendary assassin Daud. Together, they will explore the dark underbelly of the city to recover artifacts in order to kill the source of chaos within the Empire, the Outsider himself. The story will delve more into the Outsider's past and the reason for his existence.
Billie will not have the Mark of the Outsider, but will instead have new powers and abilities granted from artifacts and new gadgets at her disposal to infiltrate underground fight clubs and plan a bank heist, square off against the Sisters of the Oracular Order, new Clockwork Soldiers, the immortal Envisioned and the Outsider-obsessed Eyeless gang. In addition, the game will feature the Original Game Plus mode to replay it with three specific abilities from Dishonored 2.
- Rosario Dawson as Billie Lurk
- Michael Madsen as Daud
- Robin Lord Taylor as the Outsider
- Siedah Garrett as Dolores Michaels
- Death of the Outsider had two working titles before the developers settled for a name.
- "Dead Hand" was proposed during pre-production work to reference Daud finding Billie to help him achieve the assassination of the Outsider in his place. The name itself comes from an automatic nuclear-control system used by the Soviet Union to launch a nuclear strike in case command center couldn't. The banner bearing its name in the gallery below can be found in the game's files.
- "Blackheart" was proposed afterward during production work. It was kept on the first version of the game's end-user license agreement (EULA) on Steam, and changed in June 21. This title also resonates with that of Dishonored 2, "Black Sparrow", but was not accepted by the rest of the studio. They eventually agreed to "Death of the Outsider", which was the name used by the writers when they first conceived the game's story concept.
- The CGI cinematic announcement trailer released during E3 2017 was made by Platige Image.
- The song in the gameplay trailer "Do the Impossible… Kill a God" is Killing Strangers by Marilyn Manson.
- One of the writers for the game, Hazel Monforton, was hired after a lengthy twitter conversation on the nature of the Outsider, which caught Harvey Smith's attention for its accuracy.
- Daud was originally conceived as the protagonist of Death of the Outsider. He was ruled out because the developers judged playing Daud again would be too easy, story-wise.
- This is the first game in the Dishonored franchise that features neither Corvo Attano, who isn't even mentioned in the entirety in the game, nor Emily Kaldwin in a prominent role.
- Original Game + does not give Billie all of the powers from Dishonored 2, instead it replaces her original powers with Blink, Dark Vision and Domino.
- This is currently the only game without the Chaos system.
- Dishonored: Dishonored: Death of the Outsider Revealed on bethesda.net
- QUAKECON 2017: FUTURE DISHONORED GAMES WOULD FEATURE DIFFERENT CHARACTERS
- Steam's store page
- Find Out Why Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider Could Be The Series' Final Act on gameinformer.com
- Steam app history on steamd.info
- Dishonored: Death of the Outsider on Platige Image's website
- The Outsider as Pharmakos - Dishonored's misunderstood God on storify.com
- One of Dishonored: Death of the Outsider's writers was hired because of her great tweets on pcgamesn.com.
- Dishonored 2's Death of the Outsider could have focused on Daud but was considered 'the easy road' on pcgamer.com
Games and other media in the Dishonored franchise
Void Walker's Arsenal (Acrobatic Killer Pack • Arcane Assassin Pack • Backstreet Butcher Pack • Shadow Rat Pack) • Dunwall City Trials • The Knife of Dunwall • The Brigmore Witches • Imperial Assassin's Pack
Dishonored Signature Series Guide • Dishonored 2 Strategy Guide • The Dunwall Archives • The Art of Dishonored 2 • The Wyrmwood Deceit • The Peeress and the Price • The Corroded Man • The Return of Daud • The Veiled Terror